You are right, it takes a little more introduction to actually find out who I am and what keeps my busy. I’ll leave you with 5 things you did NOT know about me.
- You didn’t know I am actually an Electronic Engineer. Yes, it’s true. I have my degree in Electronics, but since I could not express my “creativity” I started building websites during my study. That made me consider what to do when I graduated. I chose a different study – higher informatics – but that was too boring for me. Of course coding is some kind of art, but I could not code that well to make it beautiful. And maybe the fact that i am a pretty social guy, I failed as die hard programmer (no offense all you code monkeys out there). So, what’s left. Heck, Communication & Multimedia design must be my final destination (study wise). And, yes it was. Fun study which made me appreciate marketing even more. From marketing to search engine marketing was a small step, but a great specialization at the right moment. Big thanks to Peter of course
- You probably don’t know that I try to save the world where I can?
I admit that I’ve been more radical in my puberty years, but some now and then the hippie in me takes over my mind and I try to save the world on my own. All I can think off is how to save the environment, the whales, seal slaughter, stop people from driving cars, wondering why we use petrol for our cars and not electricity (DVD tip: Who Killed the Electric Car?) and so on, and so on. Of course I separate the paper, chemicals and biological stuff from the garbage (as everybody should) but it seems that it will not save the world alone. Therefor I just live and try to save where I can and just hope the best for Mother Nature. For the record: I don’t drive a car, I cycle (good for your health too ).
- You probably don’t know that I’d have all kind of jobs as a student before I became a SEO?
Sounds like a cheesy advertisement, but: you name it, I had it!. Let’s see, I started as operator in an educational theme park where I ended up as facility engineer and waiter as between jobs. Switching to editor of a Dutch Amiga magazine in the evenings and working as jewelery employee during the day. Not much later I drove a rich old man to everywhere he wanted in his (old) Beemer. Of course I wanted a relevant job as student electronics so I start working in a large electronic store. After bankruptcy I wanted to stay working in retail so took a job in a large music store. Naturally these all are jobs between studying and socializing. My first full-time job (after internships) I applied as salesman in electronic protection parts for machinery, the drama. After this everything will fall in place, because I got a job as multimedia designer. Things start to slow down from here. Before I became a SEO the last job was as support employee of a domain registrar and server provider. Wow, and that with my 28 years of age!
- I declared my love to “Amiga” already 10 years ago. Now it’s over. This is going to be the nerdy part of “5 things you didn’t know” as with Amiga I mean the mighty home computer that ruled the scene years ago. Another revealing confession, I know. You are still reading right? It was a logical step from my beloved Commodore 64 to an Amiga 500 (with 1Mb!). Not long after that became an Amiga 1200 a big part of my life. Expanded with PCI ports, gigs of HD at the light speed of 50Mhz. Those were the days. Back then I offered narrow casting systems, all Amiga based. Naturally it wasn’t called narrow casting back then, but infotainment. My first marketing steps.
Amiga died a ungrateful death although the spirit still lives on with a lot of users. We still keep Commodore, Escom and Gateway responsible for the worst marketing you ever can imagine. For myself as marketeer a valuable lesson learned. Fear not, there is a real Amiga in my life whom I declare my love for her every single day (and yes, she loves me back).
- I bet you don’t know i’m actually already a better SEO then Peter? It’s true! While he was busy making plans how to take over the world, I was able to transfer all his knowledge to me, thru a very complicated speech2data technology. The result was amazing, within weeks I had all the knowledge to be a true SEO (yes, the whole gradient of hats)! Now all I have to do is meet Matt Cutts and i’ll know everything YOU always wanted to know about Google. Of course: everything is available for a reasonable price.
Hopefully you are still here. Read the blog and keep up with the best ways to improve your ROI and leads for your OSCommerce web shop.
View Mathieu Burgerhout’s profile